那麽,弗萊德,畢業後妳有什麽打算?
B:Well, I’ve already got a job waiting for me back in my hometown.
嗯,我家鄉已經有份工作正等著我回去做。
A:That’s cool. Have you already found an apartment to live in?
那太好了。妳已經找到住房了嗎?
B:I’m planning on living with my parents. Won’t you?
我正打算跟我父母住在壹起。難道妳不會嗎?
A:I couldn’t even if I wanted to. My parents told me that if I went home, thenI’d have to find my own place.
即使我想也不行啊。我父母親告訴我如果我回家,那我必須自己找個地方住。
B:You mean they’re kicking you out?
妳是說他們會把妳踢出去?
A:Not really, they just don’t want me living at home. My older sister
did that, and she lived at home for seven years. Once she started living
at home, it got harder and harder for her to move out.
不完全是。他們只是不想我住在家裏。以前我姐姐住在家裏,她就在家住了7年。壹旦她在家裏住下來,對她來說,搬出去就越來越難。
B:Well, it’s not like my parents want me to live at home the rest of
my life. They said that it’s ok if I move back home to begin with, but
they want me to find a place of my own after a year or so.
嗯,不是我父母親想要我以後都住在家裏。他們說如果我搬回家開始生活,那很好,但他們想要我大約壹年後自己去找地方住。
A:My parents just didn’t handle my older sister very well, and because
of that, they want me to be more independent. They think that it’s
important that I should learn how to live on my own.
我父母只是沒把我姐姐的事處理好,也正因為那樣,他們想讓我更獨立。他們認為讓我學會如何獨立生活是很重要的。
B:I know I need to learn that myself, but I just don’t have the money
for it at the moment. Living at home allows me to save up some money
before I started finding a place.
我知道我自己需要學會獨立生活,但現在我只是沒錢那樣做。在我開始找個地方住之前,住在家裏可以讓我節約壹些錢。
大學畢業後的職業規劃
May:So you are going to graduate from your university. Do you have any plans for the future?
妳要大學畢業了,對將來有什麽打算嗎?
Lisa:I want to look for a job, but I also feel that I need to know more about my subject of study.
我想找份工作,但是我又感覺需要對我所學的專業有更進壹步的了解。
May:I think if you feel that way, then going to graduate school is the right path for you.
如果妳那樣想的話,去念研究生是妳最好的選擇。
Lisa:I have considered that. But sometimes I feel that I just don't have the passion for the college life any more.
我也那樣考慮過,但是有時候我感覺自己沒有激情繼續過大學生活了。
May:Why?
為什麽?Lisa:I don't know. Maybe I am just feeling a little bit tired after so many years of study.
我也不知道。也許經過這麽多年的學習,我感覺有點倦怠了。
May:Yeah, graduate school is an energy and time consuming endeavor.
嗯,研究生學院是壹個消磨精力和時間的地方。
Lisa:What's more, I am really busy right now, writing my graduate
thesis and preparing for the interview. If I look for a job, I surely
will have no time for the graduate school entrance exam.
還有,我現在真的很忙,寫我的論文,準備答辯。如果我要找工作,我就真的沒有時間準備研究生入學考試了。
May:Have you figured out what career you want?
妳想過要從事什麽職業嗎?
Lisa:No, not yet. But a career that requires advanced education is
always my dream: college professor, biologist, lawyer, researcher,
doctor…
還沒有,但是要求高等教育水平的職業壹直是我的夢想,比如大學教授、生物學家、律師、研究員、醫生等等。
May:You are so ambitious! But which subject do you want to work on?
妳真有誌向!但是妳想從事哪方面的工作呢?
Lisa:I don't know. I think probably I need to buy a few years while I figure out about my career.
我不知道,我想我可能需要幾年的時間來確定我的職業方向。
May:Then why not get a job and have someone pay you? You can still go to graduate school later if you need or want to.
為什麽不找份工作,先賺點錢呢?如果妳需要或者想念研究生,妳可以以後去。
Lisa:Yeah, and I think I will be a much better student once I know what I am there for.
嗯,我想當我更明確自己的目標以後,我會是個更加優秀的學生。
May:Yeah, after gaining some work experience, you will be much clearer about what you are doing now.
是啊,等妳獲得壹些工作經驗以後,妳就會更清楚妳現在在做什麽。
Lisa:Exactly, I need to make a decision at once. Time and tide wait for no man.
沒錯,我需要立刻做決定。時間不等人嘛。