(很久很久以前,有壹個老鼠爸爸)
He wanted to marry his daughter to the greatest person in the world.
(他想要將他的女兒嫁給世界上最偉大的人)
But, who was the greatest person in the world?
(但是,誰是世界上最偉大的人呢?)
Oh! The sun! He must be the greatest person in the world.
(啊!是太陽!他壹定是世界上最偉大的人)
The mouse father went to talk to the sun.
(老鼠爸爸就去找太陽說話)
“Hello! Mr. Sun. I know you are the greatest person in the world.
(哈啰!太陽先生,我知道妳是世界上最偉大的人)
Would you marry my daughter?”
(妳願意娶我的女兒嗎?)
“What? I’m not the greatest person in the world. The greatest person is the cloud.
(什麽?我才不是世界上最偉大的人呢!最偉大的應該是雲)
If he comes out, I’ll be covered.”
(只要他壹出現,我就被遮住了)
The mouse father went to talk to the cloud.
(老鼠爸爸就去找雲)
“Hello! Mr. Cloud. I know you are the greatest person in the world.
(哈啰!雲先生,我知道妳是世界上最偉大的人)
Would you marry my daughter?”
(妳願意娶我的女兒嗎?)
“What? I’m not the greatest person in the world. The greatest person is the wind.
(什麽?我才不是世界上最偉大的人呢!最偉大的應該是風)
If he comes out, I’ll be blown away.”
(只要他壹出現,我就被吹的遠遠的)
The mouse father went to talk to the wind.
(老鼠爸爸就去找風)
“Hello! Mr. Wind. I know you are the greatest person in the world.
(哈啰!風先生,我知道妳是世界上最偉大的人)
Would you marry my daughter?”
(妳願意娶我的女兒嗎?)
“What? I’m not the greatest person in the world. The greatest person is the wall.
(什麽?我才不是世界上最偉大的人呢!最偉大的應該是墻)
If he comes out, I’ll be stopped.”
(只要他壹出現,我就被擋住了)
The mouse father went to talk to the wall.
(老鼠爸爸就去找墻)
“Hello! Mr. Wall. I know you are the greatest person in the world.
(哈啰!墻先生,我知道妳是世界上最偉大的人)
Would you marry my daughter?”
(妳願意娶我的女兒嗎?)
“What? I’m not the greatest person in the world. The greatest person is YOU, the mouse.”
(什麽?我才不是世界上最偉大的人呢!最偉大的其實是妳們!是老鼠!)
“The greatest person in the world is … mouse?”
(世界上最偉大的人…是老鼠?)
“Yes, the greatest person in the world is mouse. See? If mouse comes out, I’ll be bit!”
(沒錯!世界上最偉大的就是老鼠,妳看,只要妳們壹出現,我就被挖洞了!)
The mouse father was very happy.
(老鼠爸爸好開心!)
He finally knew mouse was the greatest person in the world.
(他終於知道世界上最偉大的人了,就是老鼠。)
He would marry his daughter to the handsome mouse next door.
(他決定要將自己的女兒嫁給隔壁英俊的鼠小弟。)
A cobbler passed his time in singing from morning till night; it was wonderful to see, wonderful to hear him; he was more contented in making shoes, than was any of the seven sages. His neighbor, on the contrary, who was rolling in wealth, sung but little, and slept less. He was a banker; when by chance he fell into a doze at day-break, the cobbler awoke him with his song. The banker complained sadly that Providence had not made sleep a saleable commodity, like edibles or drinkables. Having at length sent for the songster, he said to him, "How much a year do you earn, Master Gregory?"
"How much a year, sir?" said the merry cobbler laughing, "I never reckon in that way, living as I do from one day to another; somehow I manage to reach the end of the year; each day brings its meal."
"Well then! How much a day do you earn, my friend?"
"Sometimes more, sometimes less; but the worst of it is, -and, without that our earnings would be very tolerable, -a number of days occur in the year on which we are forbidden to work; and the curate, moreover, is constantly adding some new saint to the list."
The banker, laughing at his simplicity, said, "In the future I shall place you above want. Take this hundred crowns, preserve them carefully, and make use of them in time of need."
The cobbler fancied he beheld all the wealth which the earth had produced in the past century for the use of mankind. Returning home, he buried his money and his happiness at the same time. No more singing; he lost his voice, the moment he acquired that which is the source of so much grief. Sleep quitted his dwelling; and cares, suspicions, and false alarms took its place. All day, his eye wandered in the direction of the treasure; and at night, if some stray cat made a noise, the cat was robbing him. At length the poor man ran to the house of his rich neighbor; "Give me back," said he, "sleep and my voice, and take your hundred crowns."
壹個皮匠從早到晚在唱歌中度過。 無論見到他本人或聽見他的歌聲都使人覺得很愉快。 他對於制鞋工作比當上了希臘七聖還要滿足。 與此相反,他的鄰居是個銀行家,擁有萬貫家財,卻很少唱歌,晚上也睡得不好。 他偶爾在黎明時分迷迷糊糊剛入睡,皮匠的歌聲便把他吵醒了。 銀行家郁郁寡歡地抱怨上帝沒有把睡眠也制成壹種像食品或飲料那樣可以買賣的商品。 後來,銀行家就叫人把這位歌手請來,問道:“格列戈裏師傅,妳壹年賺多少錢?”
“先生,妳問我壹年賺多少錢嗎?”快樂的皮匠笑道: “我從來不算這筆帳,我是壹天壹天地過日子,總而言之堅持到年底,每天掙足三餐。”
“啊,朋友,那麽妳壹天賺多少錢呢?”
“有時多壹點,有時少壹點; 不過最糟糕的是壹年中總有些日子不準我們做買賣,否則我們的收入也還算不錯的。 而牧師又常常在聖徒名單上添新名字。”
銀行家被皮匠的直率逗笑了,他說:“我要妳從今以後不愁沒錢用。 這壹百枚錢妳拿去,小心放好,需要時拿來用吧。”
皮匠覺得自己好像看到了過去幾百年來大地為人類所需而制造出來的全部財富。 他回到家中,埋藏好硬幣,同時也埋藏了他的歡樂。 他不再唱歌了;從他得到這種痛苦的根源那壹刻起,他的嗓子就啞了。 睡眠與他分了手;取而代之的卻是擔心、懷疑、虛驚。 白天,他的目光盡朝埋藏硬幣的方向望; 夜間,如果有只迷途的貓弄出壹點聲響,他就以為是有人來搶他的錢。 最後,這個可憐的皮匠跑到他那富有的鄰居家裏說:“把妳的壹百枚錢拿回去,還我的睡眠和歌聲來。”